Getting to Know Your Household Molds

In years of testing homes on the East End we’ve run across a multitude of molds. Some by themselves are not too much of a concern, causing sinus infections, running noses, headaches and minor sicknesses. Others pose a very real concern and are toxic. These should be avoided at all costs until an experienced mold remediation company can come in and using their “green” remediation products, remove the mold and then encapsulate the areas so it does not return again.

Mildew Buster

Ben the Mildew Buster!

However, if the mold becomes part of the sheetrock or insulation, it must be removed carefully with air scrubbers installed to eliminate spreading the spores any further through the house. Then, using the proper solution and methods, it should be removed before air contamination and human sickness becomes a real reality.

The worst situation is when you have two or more types of mold that grow together, and through a synergistic effect release what inevitably are toxic mold spores throughout your house. Please remember that BLEACH DOES NOT KILL MOLD. IN FACT, CONTACT WITH BLEACH AND CERTAIN TYPES OF MOLD CAN CREATE NOXIOUS GASSES THAT CAN MAKE THE HOMEOWNER VERY SICK. Please avoid bleach at all costs.

The following are some general molds that we find on the East End. Read about them carefully and familiarize yourself with them. It may help you avoid a number of health issues down the road.

There are more than 100,000 types and species of mold, some of which are harmless, and some that can cause serious health problems. The most common categories of mold, which can be detrimental to your health, are:

Allergenic Molds: These types of molds contain allergens, which can cause allergies in humans. People, who have asthmatic problems, and also those with weak immune systems, can be susceptible to allergies due to allergenic molds.

Pathogenic Molds: Such types of mold can cause severe health problems in people who are undergoing chemotherapy, people who have HIV, and those who have weak immune systems. It is best to get pathogenic molds removed from your house by a professional and not try to do it on your own.

Toxic Molds: Molds that produce harmful toxins are known as toxic molds. Toxic molds are known to cause grave health problems, including death in rare circumstances. If toxic mold is present in your home, you should get it removed by a professional as soon as possible.

If you suspect you have a problem, you can call Mildew Busters at 631-495-6826 for a free evaluation. Visit them at www.mildewbusters.com or  www.eastendwaterproofing.com.  

BACK TO Ask The Expert: House & Home