I just can’t imagine being in a situation where I was stuck outside in the cold all day today just because I made a few wrong moves in life that put me in a situation where I couldn’t afford heat. Not everybody that cannot afford to have heat on in their homes is crazy. Heat is damn expensive these days.
The weather outside is ice cold today, and Southampton Town has announced that warming centers for residents who are cold will be open today from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. due to the combination of extremely cold temperatures and the possibility of wind chill factors below zero degrees.
The warming centers will be in operation on Wednesday 1/23/13 and Thursday 1/24/13 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4 p.m.
If you see anybody at these centers today and feel comfortable with it, invite them over for a stay indoors. It’s too cold out there tonight.
Warming Center Locations:
Flanders Community Center – 655 Flanders Rd., Flanders
Hampton Bays Senior Center – 25 Ponquogue Ave., Hampton Bays
Bridgehampton Community Center – 585 Sag Harbor Tpk., Bridgehampton
For more information, contact the Hampton Bays Senior Center staff at 631-728-1235.
General tips for staying warm:
- Wear a hat, hood, or scarf, as most heat is lost through the head.
- Wear layers, as they provide better insulation and warmth.
- Keep fingertips, earlobes, and noses covered if you go outside.
- Keep clothing dry. If a layer becomes wet, remove it.
- Drinking alcohol can be dangerous. Alcohol doesn’t make you warmer and drinking alcohol when outside in the cold weather is dangerous—it increases one’s risk for hypothermia and frostbite.