1. East Hampton’s Main Beach was named best beach in the country. All other beaches, bow down.
2. The U.S. Women’s Open came to Long Island for the first time ever—and obviously they chose to play in Southampton.
3. Work on County Road 39 was finally finished. Maybe not.
4. Hamptons Memorial Day Weekend is greater than your Memorial Day Weekend. Because Willie Nelson came to ours. How do you spell “FREE CONCERT?”
5. Derwood Hodgegrass figured out a way to heat the ocean in front of his Southampton estate.
6. Our Coast Guard corps is awesome. Over the summer, they plucked Montauk lobster fisherman John Aldridge from the Atlantic, 12 and a half hours after he fell overboard.
7. Rumors swirled that Bill and Hillary Clinton purchased a house in the Hamptons. Hillary launches her presidential campaign from the East End. Oh wait…thinking of next year’s roundup.
9. The East End celebrates landmark anniversaries right. Greenport turned 175; Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center turned 15; Parrish Art Museum enjoyed one year in its new Water Mill location; Topping Rose House turned one year old; and Long Island Wine Country turned 40, just as Wölffer Estate celebrated 25 years.
10. Hamptons Collegiate Baseball decides to put a team in Montauk, the first in East Hampton Town in Hamptons baseball’s 7-year existence. Construction to begin on the “Montauk Monster,” an outfield wall that pays homage to the Green Monster in Boston’s Fenway Park.
11. Our trailer parks aren’t your idea of trailer parks. Because ours are beachfront.
12. We’re number 1! The Pierson High School Lady Whalers won the state field hockey championship.
13. We’re number 1! The new DansPapers.com launches over the summer. First stop, Hamptons domination. Next stop, world domination.