Sag Harbor’s Fourth Annual HarborFrost brings relief this weekend for those who have been riding the struggle bus through the East End winter. From February 7-9, a host of activities are planned to help everyone overcome the winter blues.
For the second year in a row, revelers are invited to kick off HarborFrost weekend at the Frost Ball, held on Friday from 6 to 10 p.m. at Muse in the Harbor. The party will feature an open bar all night with unlimited hors d’oeuvres and a DJ. Tickets are $65 for Sag Harbor Chamber members and $75 for nonmembers and are available through the chamber.
If partying’s not your thing, you don’t have to be left out in the cold. Pierson will feature performances of A Chorus Line at the school auditorium on Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Bay Street Theatre will also join in the celebrations all weekend, as they pay tribute to the 50th anniversary of the Beatles’ arrival in America. Join them on Friday at 8 p.m. as archivist and filmmaker Joe Lauro presents an evening of retrospective Beatles films. Admission is $15.
Saturday plays host to the majority of the HarborFrost festivities, most of which are presented around Main Street and Long Wharf.
The HarborFrost celebrations begin at 10 a.m. when the film Row Hard, No Excuses will be screened at the American Legion. The award-winning documentary follows a two-man American crew as they enter a race across the Atlantic Ocean.
Live music around the village begins at noon and lasts until 5 p.m. Shop special sales to the tune of talented musicians.
Also at noon, ice carvers will take to the streets, crafting frosty sculptures. They’ll nab a short break and be back again at 2 p.m.
As in years past, the young and young-at-heart can participate in ZIMA! A treasure hunt around the village. Meet at noon or at 12:30 p.m. at the Civil War Monument.
A culinary stroll through Sag Harbor will be held from 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. The tastings begin at Il Capuccino, and the cost to participate is $40.
Those who haven’t gotten quite as chilled as they had hoped by 2 p.m. can satisfy their need for freeze with a dip into Sag Harbor Bay. The annual Frosty Plunge, which—just to note—was cancelled last year due to excessive ice coverage, will be held at Windmill Beach. The $20 fee to participate will benefit the Sag Harbor Volunteer Ambulance Corps and Pierson High School Theater and Arts.
As the sun sets, Fiery Sensations Fire Dancers will take to the street, heating up the evening’s entertainment, which will cap off with fireworks by Grucci at 6 p.m.
After the outdoor festivities, head into Bay Street Theatre for the second installment of the Beatles weekend at 8 p.m. The spectacular will feature an evening of Beatles songs performed by notable East End musicians, including Gene Casey and Inda Eaton. Tickets are $25 in advance, $35 at the door.
If you worked up an appetite indulging in Saturday’s festivities, Sunday brings some more sustenance: a pancake breakfast held at the main firehouse begins at 8a.m. and goes until noon. Or check out Il Capuccino’s “thirsty” brunch!
At 10 a.m., meet at Mashashimuet Park to hike for HarborFrost.
Bay Street Theatre’s final Beatles showing celebrates the 50-year anniversary of the Fab Four’s performance on The Ed Sullivan Show. The show, which was originally broadcasted on February 9, 1964, will be shown in its entirety. Tickets are $5. Those who are experiencing Beatlemania can purchase a weekend pass to grant admission into all three Bay Street events for $40.
Sag Harbor’s celebrations come just in time—on Groundhog Day, Punxsutawney Phil called for six more weeks of cold weather. Head to the village to enjoy the festivities and beat the winter doldrums.
Head down to Sag Harbor for a weekend full of ice sculpting, fireworks, food, music and more! The Fourth Annual HarborFrost is filled with events for the entire family.
FULL 2014 HARBORFROST SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Friday, February 7
- 7 p.m. – A Chorus Line at Pierson Auditorium ($7)
- 8 p.m. – Films: 50 Years of the Beatles at Bay Street Theatre ($15)
Saturday, February 8
- 10 a.m.–noon – Film: Row Hard, No Excuses at American Legion
- Noon–5 p.m. – Live Music ‘Round Town at Various Locations
- Noon – Ice Carving at the Long Wharf
- Noon – ZIMA! A Treasure Hunt at Civil War Monument
- 12:30 p.m. – ZIMA! A Treasure Hunt at Civil War Monument
- 1–5:30 p.m. – Culinary Stroll, starting at Il Capuccino ($40)
- 2 p.m. – Frosty Plunge at Windmill Beach ($20)
- 2 p.m. – Ice Carving at Civil War Monument
- 2 p.m. – A Chorus Line at Pierson Auditorium ($7)
- 5:30 p.m. – Fiery Sensations Fire Dancers at the Long Wharf
- 6 p.m. – Fireworks by Grucci at the Long Wharf
- 8 p.m. – Celebrating the Beatles: Life Music at Bay Street Theatre ($25/$35)
- 8 p.m. – A Chorus Line at Pierson Auditorium ($7)
Sunday, February 9
- 8 a.m.–noon – Pancake Breakfast at Main Firehouse ($10/$5)
- 10 a.m. – Hike for HarborFrost at Mashahimuet Park
- 7 p.m. – Video: The Beatles on Ed Sullivan at Bay Street Theatre ($5)